These blog entries are pretty hit-and-miss aren't they? Sometimes there's loads of them within a week and then there's nowt for ages. I think it's just me being a bit flaky. I forget all about it and then Martin says "are you still doing your blog?" I go, "Oh, yeah. Did it yesterday as it happens." and then I rush to another room to put something up! lol
So, this grand piano lark. It's certainly moving on you know. I must admit that I was a little concerned that I'd buy it with all good intentions of a full restoration of it and then lose interest. I only feared that because that's what I usually do! lol. However, so far, that hasn't happened as yet. So, what have I done with it?
* I've removed all of the brassware to either restore or replace
* I've taught myself (with the help of Youtube and lots of research) how to French Polish
* I've discovered that I'm not the greatest French Polisher in the world but took my time and improved immeasurably.
* I've stripped most of the polish off the piano and started to evaluate the best course of action to either restore parts of the veneer or to remove the lot and re-veneer the whole thing. I think I'll do the former but with BIG replacement areas.
* I've stripped the entire action (as I think I mentioned in an earlier post). Well, that's now done and I'm just awaiting one or two parts to arrive in the post for that to be finished.
* Investigated the cost of replacing the hammers. I also need one or two new flanges and shanks. I can't decide to either restore the hammers or replace them. I think the best option for the musical instrument is to replace but for my pocket it is definitely to restore. I think I will replace but will have to save up for a month or two to do it.
* I came to the conclusion that on a 95 year old piano (no matter how nice it is) it is foolhardy to not replace the pinblock. I've spent part of today looking for the correct stuff. I want "Delignit" but the supplier in the UK seems to not actually exist so I'll have to keep mooching.
* I reglued and cleaned all of the ivory on the keys, re-bushed them and of course gave a good going over to remove dust off the main body of the key... 88 times. The white notes are back in the action now after also doing similar work on the wippens undertaking any minor repairs where necessary before stripping and respraying the action brackets and fixing it all back together again. What a busy boy!
Next on the list is to continue the stripping and gradual French Polishing of the case as time and inclination allows... Ooh, you don't half get an achy shoulder! I'm going to have to polish up all the brassware and laquer it as well as locating a brass piano hinge (shouldn't be too difficult). I've been looking for string manufacturers and have found one in the UK that'll be the one I go for. The tone sounds ok on the piano (it sounds like an ocean liner coming into port when you hit the bottom notes!!!) but new strings after such a huge restoration on it will be the finishing touches. I've also got to remove and restore the frame and work on tidying up the soundboard. There's a couple of hairline cracks in teh soundboard which, after lots of research, I've discovered aren't actually a death knell for a piano as it can relatively simply (although as with everything else in piano restoration -painstakingly) be dealt with by shimming the gap. Simple really. These cracks are so small I'm not even convinced they are cracks. After all that's done I've got to replace the lot, restring, re-align for the downbearing of the strings and regulation, voicing, several tunings and as they say, Bob's your uncle! I'd say I'm maybe a third of the way through the job so far and I'm absolutley loving it. It's such a cathartic thing to do. Going out to the garage and listening to music on my MP3 player while pottering about. I've never had a "pottering about" project before and I absolutely love it!
First job on the list now? Ebay for veneer! Wish me luck!!!
xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment