Wednesday, 7 May 2008

What's a Tarn? 7/5/08

Well you may ask, what is a Tarn? For those who don't know it's a mountain lake. ie a lake in a mountainous/hilly area rather than a lake that looks like a mountain. We've got one just three miles from our front door so, for the first time this year, I walked up there and beyond to Talkin (the village the Tarn is named after) where Martin and I met for a pint before we came back again. How civilised! It wasn lovely just walking along, looking at the sheep with their lambs, the horses with their foals and the tractors with their silage tanks. Ah, the smells of the countryside can't be beaten! It may be the carnivore in me but whenever I look into a really cute little lamb's eyes and it bleats gently at me, I can't help thinking that it'd be great on my plate with a couple of Yorkshire Puddings and some mint sauce.

The picture I took to get framed yesterday was ready today (how's that for quick service?) It seems that the framer was really excited when he saw it as he thought it was really nice and couldn't wait to do it so did it last night. The lady who also runs the shop told me that she couldn't wait to phone me this morning to tell me that it was ready. They really should get out more I think!

Oh, GREAT news. When I was walking back from Talkin Tarn I passed Tarn Road Nurseries and thought I'd pop in to get an apple tree (to plant in memory of my Great-Aunt Gladys who died a fortnight ago). While I was there I happened to ask in passing if they had any monkey puzzle trees (small ones, obviously) and they had! I've been wanting one of those for about 20 years but never managed to get one. Either they were too expensive (I've seen them for £200 for something less than 2ft tall) or the seeds I managed to get didn't germinate. Needless to say, I'm thrilled. Down side is that I've no idea where to put it and can't decide whether to plant it in the garden and let it establish itself or keep it in an ornamental pot. I'll probably do the first I think.

Also been busy today with my amateur architect hat on too. We've been thinking of moving house for a long time now and nothing has happened but we simply need more space so I've been designing ways of how best we could extend the house we're in at the moment. Luckily it's a bungalow so the main idea was to go up! I designed a full first floor layout. Martin thought that four bedrooms was a little excessive so I took one out... And that was it done. However, Martin's brighter than I'd realised because when he had a look he said "It's still four bedrooms". I said, "No, what was the fourth bedroom is now a home cinema." He didn't fall for it. Looks like it's back to the drawing board.

Got to get ready for choir parctise in a minute. I really love my choir. I'm so lucky to have such a large group of people that come along week in, week out for to sing with me. We're looking at a four part version of Gnarles Berkeley's "Crazy" tonight. I think it's really funny seeing lots of ladies of a certain age (in general) singing a song like that. It always makes me smile!

Catch you tomorrow and I promise more pictures too. maybe a few sheep and a tree if you're REALLY LUCKY. I bet you can hardly contain your excitement!

No comments: